Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7 quadcab slt has a battery gauge

Customer Question

My 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7 quadcab slt has a battery gauge problem. You start the truck and the battery gauge goes to dead or 0 and check gauges comes on. turn it off and it resets for a few seconds but then does same thing; sometimes it stops and acts fine for a while weeks months then it happens again. no code with this issue. help please.....
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! This issue is caused by a bad instrument cluster. The instrument cluster is bad and needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Amedee. These are other things answers I have found which Id like ure opinion. Do u still think instrument cluster? Problem is killing me. Thanks much.
1. Best Answer: there's a wire that comes off the gage in the back of the dash that is a fusible link check it, i think it may have blown or have came loose and that will cause it to drop to 0 like that,i own a 99 model truck that has did that several times,i have also replaced the gage once in my truck for doing the same thing,good luck.
Source(s):been a certified mechanic for 38 yrs now.
2. Defective alternator. Someone must have done things improperly with the wiring and comprimized the operation of the onboard voltage regulator. Replace. output regulated voltage should be 13.5 to juice a 12V battery.
3. Voltage Regulator.
4. I have the fix! I had all of the same symtoms, all were intermitant then at the end it finally got worse. Zero volts shortly after starting, draining the battery, then it finally died, luckily in my garage. PCM? Alternator? Battery? Cables? Alternator and battery tested good, though not in the failed condition at the time. I really didn't want to shotgun parts at it, nor did I want to take it in for repairs that would be costly. Out of curiosity I pulled the alternator and took the cover off to expose the brushes. They were pretty much shot and the area was very dirty. I ordered a new set of brushes from Maniac Electric Motor online, under $15 shipped. Ordered on Friday, had them on Monday (Texas to Colorado.) Took 20 minutes to re-install everything and bam! No more issues. Strong charge, good indications on volt meter. I have only driven 40 miles, but I saw no deflection on the gauge so I'm good. $15, I'm very happy! Any questions let me know, I'll be happy to help!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

It might be easier to speak over the phone.