Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

My 2001 dodge Dakota acts sluggish when acceratating,

Customer Question

My 2001 dodge Dakota acts sluggish when acceratating, backfires too, and stalls, once it gets going it runs fine, what could be causing this
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

A bad mass air flow sensor can cause the symptoms you describe. Typically you will have a check engine light on to accompany the basckfires and stall as well. Is your check engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the check engine has not come on
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for no response yesterday; I don't get on here on Sundays. So, sluggish with no check engine light usually points to a bad mass air flow sensor. If you have a diagnostic scan tool you can check the sensor. If not, you might just have to replace it and hope for the best. Do you want to try that? I can send a diagram that shows how it's done.