Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

My situation is I have a 2010 Dodge 2500 Turbo Diesel truck

Customer Question

My situation is I have a 2010 Dodge 2500 Turbo Diesel truck that had an oil leak. I took it to the repair shop. I was told it was the crank shaft seal so I had them repair the leak. They called to have me pick it up and told me that once they cleaned everything up they noticed it was still leaking a few drops of oil from the rear main seal and that it could blow at any time but not necessarily right away. It was another $900 bucks so I told them I would have to think about it. I picked up my truck and drove it home which is in Cheyenne, Wyoming about 45 miles away. When I got home I noticed the truck was gushing oil again so I had my truck towed back to the same shop. They told me it was the rear main seal had blown, so I had that repaired as well. They took it on a test drive and I was told that all of the sudden the oil pressure dropped and the engine shut it self off. They said they let it sit for a few minutes and restarted the truck and the oil pressure went back to normal, so they drove it back to the shop. As soon as they got the truck back in their garage the oil pressure dropped and the truck shut it self off again. This was at the end of the day so they let it sit over night, came back in the morning and started the truck again. Everything started just fine and then all of the sudden the oil pressure dropped again, they heard a weird noise in the turbo and then the truck shut it self off because the engine seized. They told me the engine never made any weird sound to indicate that is was going to seize, but that it must have happened when I drove it home after the first repair. They gave me a bid to re do the engine of $22,000. I have since found out that cost wise they are about right. I guess I'm trying to find out if there is anything I can do? Are they liable/responsible at all? or am I just stuck with this bill? I believe they missed something. What do you think?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

to prove liability you will need a second opinion at another shop (preferably a dealer or cummins certified repair shop) the entire repair and situation sounds fishy, but the important question is how many miles are on the truck ?

the factory warranty is 100k so if you had anything under 100k you should have not had to fix anything out of pocket BEFORE the engine was damaged,the 6.7 is not known for any real oil leaks I see mostly rotted oil pans or the occasional cracked oil pan, the rear main is pretty durable and not known to be a heavy leaker, BUT if it's a farm truck or you are in the oil fields where its super dusty and gritty that's another situation