sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Continuation-I connected a vacuum gauge so I could see it

Customer Question

Continuation-I connected a vacuum gauge so I could see it driving down the road . Turned on cruise pulled about 20lbs cruise kicked off vacuum dropped to 0 fluctuated a couple times then went back to 20. Cruise would not reset until I turned it off a waited
4 or 5 minutes. Procedure continued as discribed
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hi again! If you're losing vacuum then the cruise servo can't operate. The servo contains solenoids that control build and decay of vacuum against a diaphragm to open and close the throttle. You most likely have a vacuum leak if you're losing vacuum. A vacuum leak usually wouldn't be intermittent but the nipple where the line connects to the vacuum pump may be swelled and sealing intermittently.

What location did you connect the vacuum gauge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a tee on the firewall that has two nipples one going to the servo(cruise) the other is not used and has a plug cover I removed the plug cover and attached the gauge to it. Would it help if I videoed the gauge while driving to show you what it shows when the cruise cuts off

You definitely shouldn't be losing vacuum there with the engine running. It defaults to blowing out the defrost at that time too, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me video the hookup and the gauge when the problem occurres and send it to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excuse the poor camera work if can see the video the the first drop cruise wet off and came back on the second it kicked off completely
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

It doesn't look like the video uploaded correctly but I believe you that it's dropping.

When the cruise shuts off does it default to defrost if you had the heat or a/c set to floor or vent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Go to my page in Facebook and view video- Donald S Velliquette

Can you locate the vacuum line coming into the left side of the vacuum pump and see if the nipple is tight and there is no visible damage to it or the line?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure where the vacuum pump is located

It's on the left side of the engine mounted to the back of the timing gear case. The power steering pump is mounted to the vacuum pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found it it is bulging around the clamp(forctory clamp) I think there is enough slack to cut and replace and put a new clamp on I will try that and drive test a let you k know outcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Might have to go and buy a clamp so it might be awhile

Sounds great!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cut off as much as possible test drove about 20 miles at first it cut off I was able to reset it right away it did not cut off again. The hose is pretty weak able to collapse it with little pressure I will replace it probably tomorrow the report

If the hose is weak enough to collapse it will definitely cause what you're having.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck, still cuts of. It seemed to help a little, I wondering if it could be the reservoir tank, that about all there is to check. I'm not sure where it is located so I can give it a look see were about to run out of options?

Have you had the gauge back on it to see if vacuum is still dropping off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, I am going to try try isolate the systems going to hook vacuum to only the brake booster and the servo bypassing the rest of the system to see if it still drops off as before, I will keep you informed

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just got back same problem with it just hooked up to brake booster and the cruise servo. vacuum gauge shows 26 lbs of pressure until I turn on the cruise , there was a small amount of drop the back to 26 going up a hill cruise dropped a small amount the back to 26 then when it shut down the needle went crazy then back to 26
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this sound like the servo is bad?

It's vacuum rather than pressure, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gauge shows vacuum and pressure, measurements I gave is on the vacuum side I guess it inches of vacuum rather that lbs

Is it also a hand held pump or just a gauge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
combination vacuum - pressure gauge. Yesterday after I had driven the truck it held 26 in. of vacuum for quite awile more than 5 minutes, that was with brake and servo only hooked up

I was going to have you pull vacuum on the system if it was a pump but if it held vacuum after the engine was off that should suffice.

Have you checked for fault codes at any point?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't know if there will be any, dumb me I had the batteries disconnected to work on the radio. I will check to see if there are any and let you know tomorrow.

Disconnecting the battery will clear codes but if you take it for a drive, try the cruise and have it shut off then a code should reset if anything is actually setting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked code and it was 12, 55. I will drive it and check for codes afterwards

Let me know what you find!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today I didn't have anything to do so I decided to try something, I removed the servo and took it apart and polished the two outer solenoids pistons cleaned up the bores and reassembled the servo, I just drove 50 miles and it didn't shut off once. I'll drive it the next couple of days and get back with what I hope will be good news so I can send you a bonus

Great!