Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 1999 Ram 3500 w/ 24-valve engine. In the past few

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Ram 3500 w/ 24-valve engine. In the past few months it has started hesitating several seconds before the lift pump comes on. It will not start unless you wait for the sound of the lift pump. Could it be a ground problem? Also sometimes the anti-lock brake system light comes on.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

If this is the fuel pump module that is not turning on right away this can be an issue with the fuel pump itself as it can fail to power up right away even if the proper power and grounds are present.This can also be a fault with the fuel pump relay as the relay can stick briefly and cause this issue.Most common is the relay itself which should be located in the power distribution center.Next time this occurs have someone tap on this relay and if the pump then operates right away then this relay needs replaced.

If this does not work the signals will need tested at the relay and at the pump to see if you have a failing pump needing replaced or if you have a relay at fault needing replaced.

With the anti lock brake light coming on sometimes this indicates the anti lock brake computer has detected one or more faults.This could be a number of different components like sensors and solenoids acting up needing replaced.The most common I run into is one of the wheel speed sensors not sending the correct wheel speed signal with one of the sensors needing replaced.What needs to be done from here is to have the anti lock brake codes read out/checked to see what codes are set then from there those codes diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pump module has been replaced recently and also the relay, but the problem has still been there. That's why I was thinking it may possibly be a ground loose somewhere but I have not been able to locate it thus far. Thanks.