-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L with multiple engine codes

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L with multiple engine codes that I'm trying to diagnose.
The codes that I have are:
P0720 Output Shaft Speed Circuit Malfunction
P0300 Multiple cylinder misfire
P0304 #4 misfire
P0305 #5 misfire
P0306 #6 misfire
P0308 #8 misfire
I just bought the truck, with the check engine light on. I've already changed all the plugs and wires.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

If you just purchased this truck I would say it needs a output speed sensor and the fuel rail cleaned.. If you replaced the spark plugs and wires and it still is misfiring I would clean the fuel injectors and rail because that old model has metal fuel rails and they will flake off inside and clog the injectors.. To verify your base engine is fine you could check the compression and if good then you know the issue is either spark or fuel...

The output sensor is screwed in the tailshaft of the transmission and they run around $40.00..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what would be the easiest way to clean the fuel rail?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply!!

I always remove the rail and then remove all the injectors, then spray the rail and injector with brake/carb cleaner and blow with compressed air.. If you see any debris in the injector then dig it out with a pick and make sure all are clean, then grease up the O rings and put it all back together.. Cycle the key a time or two to fill the rail and it should fire right up...

Glad I could help and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad