-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

My 2003 dodge 3500 cummins 6cyl diesel sucked an injector

Customer Question

my 2003 dodge 3500 cummins 6cyl diesel sucked an injector into the #6 cylinder. It has 114,000 miles on the engine, does not do heavy towing, and has never been run hard. The dealer did a "scope" on the cylinder and said that the #6 cylinder was scored and that I need a complete short block for only $14,000. I said, NO, and told them to price a bore of that cylinder, replace with oversized piston, and put in a new injector. Do I really need a complete overhaul?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

The dealership priced you a short block because it will have a 5yr,100,000 warranty on it and if it was repaired it would have only 12,000/12mo warranty.. If there is a machine shop in your area that does Cummins block work then you can tell the dealership to pull it and you will take it to machine shop and bring it back after they have repaired the cylinder... And I have had several that a Injector stuck open and rolled the top of the piston oer and damaged the cylinder and we always suggest a Cummins reman short block..

I hope this helps,

Brad