Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2003 dodge ram van 318 engine which is turning over

Customer Question

I have a 2003 dodge ram van 318 engine which is turning over with gas in carb but no spark. This is a correction of the info I submitted before.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

As I cannot see what was replaced already to try and correct this here one very common component that fails and can cause a no spark issue is the crank sensor.This sensor is located at the back of the right side cylinder head towards where the top of the transmission bolts up as seen here https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptt5up3cnxc5grp/cr-10-26.gif?dl=0.This sensor sends the engine rpm signal to the engine computer and the ignition components to allow spark and starting of the vehicle.If this was already replaced let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The crank sensor has been replaced. Did the mechanic say that was in the distributer? Also called uptake sensor? It was replaced and I believe tested as well.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This sensor isn't in the distributor itself.It is a separate sensor on the back of the engine below the rear of the right cylinder head towards the top where the transmission bolts up to the engine as seen in the picture above in the link I posted.Was this the sensor that was replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not a mechanic. He said the crank sensor was replaced. Is there anything else. These guys have been over it repeatedly so the simple and obvious solutions have been checked.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The other things I can think of off the top of my head is a possible fault with the electronic ignition switch or wiring from the switch to the engine or fuse panels or damaged wiring on the engine itself needing repaired or replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete. I know fuse panels have been checked for voltage. It cut out while driving and gave me nothing including not even cranking at that point. So something so sudden doesn't seem like engine wiring. They did checking and testing.
Is there any other ideas I can pass on? Do ECMs need to be installed a certain way and /or could they be shorting out by something?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

ECM's need programmed properly to the vehicle once they are installed which usually requires a dealer or authorized service center to do this.It is also very possible that one of the components that the ecm controls or monitors has an internal short which can short out and damage the ecm,in this case it is difficult to pinpoint from here which component is the cause.Usually there will be some kind of fault code set if this is the case that makes it easier to locate the component affecting the ecm.

Sudden wire rub throughs that will cause a short will cause this here out of the blue so it is still possible there may be a shorted wire on the engine somewhere.

Thanks Pete