Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 1998 Diesel pickup. Turning the key it just clicks

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Diesel pickup. Turning the key it just clicks but then after a number of tries it starts. Is their a solenoid on top of the starter that could cause this or is it possibly something else?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

When you say it just clicks- is this a 1-click per start attempt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It clicks each time I turn the key but nothing. Then on one click it will start normally. It has been getting worse and worse everyday.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, great. The 1-click with a start after repeated attempts is in fact, a common sign for a failing Starter Solenoid. On this vehicle, the Solenoid is mounted to the side of the Starter and is most commonly replaced as a Starter Motor Assembly (the new starter comes with a new solenoid already mounted). Carefully inspect the connections at the solenoid and make sure the are tight and free of corrosion. If the visual inspection checks ok, replacing the Starter should solve the problem. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. If you cannot rate or do not see the rating stars, please let me know. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..