Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2000 Chrysler t&c changed the oil the other day now enging

Customer Question

2000 Chrysler t&c changed the oil the other day now enging has a terrible knock coming from it, it did not sound like that before I've changed the oil in it a few time with no problems, I've already tried changing the filter and putting in some lucas oil stuff to see if it would quite it down, I just think something else could be worng ive changed oil on thousands of vehicles, I was a manger at a jiffy lube for 3 years and have never had this issue, it is absolutely driving me nuts, the next thing I was going to try was flushing the motor with seafoam, changing oil and filter again using a mopar filter instead of fram and putting in 5w-30 if that doesn't help I was going to drain the oil and put in 15w40
Category: Dodge
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Jutanswer.

So ,the noise started a few days after the oil change ,right ?

Just to make sure ,is the oil at the right level ?

Does the oil light come ON, when turning the ignition key ON and then go off after the engine start ?

Does the knock go away if you rev the engine a bit ?

Do you hear the noise all the time ,with vehicle on drive or in reverse ?

Can you remove the serpentine belt and start the engine to see if noise goes away ?

Can you drain a bit of oil and see if it shows any metal or a gray/silver color ?

Sorry for all the questions but I need to know o give you the best answer.

Let me know.

Thank you.

,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the noise started right away after the oil change
oil level is right
no oil light after start
knock does not change or go away
I could remove the belt but idon't think that is it, it is definitely an enging knock
and I drained a bit of oil when I replaced the filter for the second time and added the lucas oil additive and the oil looked fine
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Well ,this is not very common to happen .

If you have oil pressure and there is no metal shavings on the oil ,it most likely is something else like a bad alternator pulley ,something wrong with your flywheel/cracked .

Another thing you can try is removing one spark plug wire at the time from the coil to see if the noise goes away and also if it does not change ,remove one spark plug at the time and check again if the noise goes away.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's gotta have something to do with the oil change what could possibly have happened
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Like I said ,it is not normal...

Can you up load a short video for me to listen to the noise ?

Have you try to put it in park and drive to see if the noise changes ?

I would also remove the serpentine belt and start the engine.

Did you rev the engine more then normal, after changing the oil ?

You may have to do the tests above to see if you can locate where is the noise coming from .

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it sounds like it is coming from the top of the engine, like a lifter or valve or something
the noise doesn't go away when in park or drive, it gets a bit louder when you rev the engine, tap tap tap with a scraping sound every now and then
I didn't do anything different from any other oil change I have done, and I have literally done thousands
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
today I will take the belt off and start and also try and upload a video w/sound
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.

Thanks.