Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 2007 dodge caravan when cold it idles o k but on

Customer Question

I have a 2007 dodge caravan when cold it idles o k but on acc. it starts to miss &cruise cont. wont work .aft.warn turn off few secs. & every thnig is ok.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

What engine is in your 07 Caravan?

How many miles are on the vehicle?

Has it ever been tuned up? (Spark plugs, wires, etc)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
170,000 mi. 2.4 literengine yes I tuned it up.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

How long ago was the most recent tune up?

When you did this tune up, did you replace the spark plug wires along with the spark plugs?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tune up app. 4 mo. ago wires plugs engine temp. switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
n.a.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

The 2.4 requires NON Platinum Spark Plugs. Were these platinum or non platinum spark plugs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was tuned 4-6 mos.ago .it ran fine till 2 wks.ago
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I still need to know what style of spark plugs were used, platinum or non platinum??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the plugs are non plat.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Ok, good.

Now I need to know if the check engine light has came on or is on? Also, has it been scanned for codes? If so, can you post all codes retrieved here? If it hasn't, Try this: Sometimes you can get the vehicle to display codes for you on the odometer. Get in the vehicle and close all the doors. Without starting the engine, cycle the ignition ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within 5 seconds. Make sure to end in the ON position, and do it quickly within 5 seconds. Where the odometer is should now begin displaying "P-codes" (ie. P0455). Write down all of the codes and post them here... If you did it properly and there are no codes, it will display "DonE" on the odometer...

If that doesn't work, The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can have these Codes read for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert