Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

I have an Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 diesel, - would not start -

Customer Question

I have an Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 diesel, - would not start - jumped it and started. Drove approx. 1 mile and stalled out and would not restart. Several lights flashed off and on during the mile the Electronic control light stayed on the whole time. Have checked batteries and alternator any suggestions as to the next step.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you had to jump start it then that would normally indicate the batteries where dead. If you sure the batteries checked okay, where you able to test the alternator with the engine running? Normal charging voltage on a properly working alternator needs to be right at 14 volts. Post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The alternator was brought into a shop that is experiences in testing, so I am are pretty confident on theThe batteries were also removed and brought in for testing. The batteries were purchased in Jan of 2014Before jumping the truck the sound was a clicking sound.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

In order to verify the alternator is charging on the truck and the circuit to it is okay it really needs to be tested on the truck, they can pass a bench test and still not work on the truck if the circuit is not correct. I have enclosed the test steps in the link below, you will need access to a compatible scan tool . Copy and paste the links to your browser to open and view the steps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Alt%20test%20Oct%2024.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will see what I can do with that and will follow up in awhile
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay, Im here if you need me.