rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Resolved fuel pump. Runs few minutes and shuts off. Not

Customer Question

Resolved fuel pump. Runs for a few minutes and shuts off. Not getting fuel to the engine.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced fuel pump on 1999 Dodge Ram 1500. Runs for a few minutes then shuts off. Won't start. Let set for a while (this time oversight), starts right up. Runs for a while shuts off.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

Ok, let's first check fuel pressure and volume when this occurs, then check to see if we still have spark at the plugs. This may be a failing CRANK sensor.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like I said I replaced the fuel pump. Along with the fuel pump module is the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator. That was all replaced. Following installation of the new fuel pump module, the truck had Adequate fuel pressure and volume. It ran what appeared to be perfectly. After about 30 minutes it quit running. I cycled the ignition and was able to hear the fuel pump prime the system. However it would not start. I remove the cold air intake into the throttlebody and sprayed a very small amount of starter fluid into the throttlebody, and the engine started briefly,running only on the starter fluid. I decided from that, that we were getting spark to the spark plugs. I left it to sit overnight, and the truck started right up and ran well today although I was hesitant to drive it due to traffic concerns. I am concerned because the problems now are the identical problems I had before I installed the new fuel pump module. I too am concerned about a sensor.I am not a mechanic but I do have good working knowledge of systems and automotive repair and have done many automotive repairs in the past. I am not real familiar with the crank sensor situation though. I understand the theory behind it. I believe I'm going to take The truck to a mechanic that has Computer diagnostic equipment. Is a faulty crank sensor something that would show up on the diagnostic test?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Good call on letting someone look at it, they will have the proper tools to diagnose this. A crank sensor will show up during the testing with his scan tool and lab scope. Looks like you're on the right path.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me.