sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4WD truck. The truck

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4WD truck. The truck engages 4WD on its own. I have had the TIPM, Transmission wire Harness, Transfer case Servo, Dash switch, gauge cluster, and A/C pressure transducer replaced. Problem persists. any ideas
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it's shifting into four wheel drive on it's own then there is little chance the TIPM isn't seeing an incorrect transfer case position signal. When this happens it's because the TIPM sees the transfer case in an unintended position and attempts a shift to correct it.

Assuming the TIPM and transfer case motor are actually good then this is going to be a wiring issue. Outside of the switch and it's wiring the TIPM, transfer case motor and wiring are the only components in the system.

The issue could be with the reference voltage circuit, sensor ground or the signal circuit. If the trans harness was replaced that still left about 50% of the circuits untouched. The wiring leaves the TIPM and goes over to the right side of the truck, down the trans and then back to the transfer case. If the parts replaced are actually good then the issue is almost surely a wiring issue between the TIPM and the new harness. The best thing to do would be to hardwire at least the signal circuit if not all three, from the TIPM to at least the new harness's connector, and cutting the old wires out of the circuit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the gage cluster may have alot to do with it. I had the truck hunting this last weekend. With the Transfer case servo disconnected, and no touch of the switch, the truck thought it was going into 4WD repeatedly. It would go from service 4WD light to flashing 4WD high and low by itself.

It could definitely be an issue with the switch it's wiring or instrument cluster. Monitoring the switch signal with a scan tool while the problem is happening will tell if the switch signal is changing on it's own without turning it.