Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a two thousand 6 dodge dakota. will drop into 2 gear

Customer Question

I have a two thousand 6 dodge dakota. will drop into 2 gear going down the road when you're at a lower rate of speed especially when you've been driving for a little bit. You can stop and turn ignition off and it will reset what causes this already spent 1600.00 dollars and still doing it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

What repairs have you done so far?

Any warning lights on?

Any speedometer issues?

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
warning light dings on after truck drops into second gear. After truck sits and cool down from driving light goes off and truck is fine again.

Thanks, ***** ***** had a chance to have it scanned to see which codes are stored?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already spent spent 1600.00 to try and fix it but its still doing it. Do you have any idea what could cause this or was this just another dead end for me

I need more information to get you an answer. All I have now are educated guesses and I can do better than that.

What repairs have you done so far?

Do you know what codes are stored now?

Any speedometer issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when driving down road sometimes at low rate of speed it just drops into second. stop turn it off for a minute, turn back on and its fine again. It's. like it resets its self. or. you can take battery cable off and it reaets

Thanks but you gave me that information in your first response.

What repairs have you done so far?

Do you know what codes are stored now?

Any speedometer issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

I asked 3 questions and you responded with "No" for me to be able to help you. I need more information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no speedometers issues I felt like I have explained what the truck was doing very well. Don't know what else to tell you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what does transmission solenoid do?

I have a good explanation on what the truck does.

You said you spent 1600$ I need to know what was done for this amount?

You said the warning light comes on, have you had it scanned to see what codes are stored?

Solenoids control the fluid flow to the valves which then engage and release the clutches and bands.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very Late 2-3 or Limp in code p1684,
p0218,p1776

I have asked what you spent 1600$ on, now 4 times. I am going to assume that money was not spent on any transmission repairs and the transmission has never been worked on.

Your codes indicate the transmission is overheating which can be caused by a restricted cooler and faulty torque converter. can you do the diag steps shown below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/p1776.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry can't get it to open

You may not be on a home PC that has adobe PDF reader downloaded.

Hello again, I am sorry you were not pleased with my help.

I hate that you paid to get an answer but left, what appears to me, not satisfied.

Just so you know I am still here and available to help any day. We can start over fresh or just pick up where we left off.

Chris