Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have replaced the cam sensor crank sensor and coil still

Customer Question

I have replaced the cam sensor crank sensor and coil still no spark. Any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

Did it stall while driving and if so is the timing belt ok? Is the check engine light on and what codes are setting?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Timing belt is fine. Did start in the morning from parked. Did not stall
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No error codes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car turns over strong but no spark
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Do you see a red light on in the dash? Also since it doesn't have any spark and it has a new crankshaft sensor then can you disconnect the coil and tell me if the green/orange wire has 12v when cranking, then clip the test light to positive and tell me if the other 3 flash when cranking?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the key is in the on position I get the 12 v for a split second then it goes away and doesn't change when cranking. I don't have a test light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only light on the dash is the oil
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Can you remove the camshaft sensor that is mounted on the drivers side of the head and tell me if the camshaft is turning when you start it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Take your time..

And if it's spinning over I will need for you to get a cheap 10.00 test light and let's see if the coil is getting a coil driver pulse to spark or not...

Keep me posted,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup it is turning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if it is not getting the pulse? And what if it is getting the pulse
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Ok glad the belt is turning.. Now here's where we are at, no spark and you don't have a constant 12v on the Green/Orange(ASD)........That tells me the PCM is not telling the coil to fire and the reasons for that would be security(SKIM KEY), broke timing belt, crankshaft sensor and a few more..

If it is getting a ground pulse then you need a new coil.. Now are you 100% sure it doesn't have spark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
100 percent
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How many other things could it be since I have changes the coil camshaft and crank shaft sensors
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

If you don't have the red light on for a bad SKIM key then you will need a scantool to see if it see's a signal from the crankshaft sensor... Also if it shows in sync or out of sync on timing because I have had engines that when you switch it off the belt jumps which causes it to be out of sync... Have you remove the covers to check and see if it's lined up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to check another time. There are no other parts I can replace? It is my daughters car and she needs it for work.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Well since you have replaced all the electrical parts that would cause it to not start, the only self test you could do is cycle the key 3 times and tell me what codes the PCM has and we can go from there...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hooked up a code reader and it says there are no codes. Does that help? Do you think it is the timing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cycled the key 3 times and nothing blinked on the dash just the oil pressure light and I hooked the code reader back up and still no code.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

A easy way to see is to check the compression of one of the cylinders to see is it's above 100... If yes then timing is fine. Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key on? If it comes on and goes off that tells me the PCM is coming on and doing a bulb check.. If not then it could be a bad PCM..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check engine light comes on then goes out pretty quick.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

At this point I would check compression and then get a scantool to monitor crankshaft signals and if it's in or out of sync...

Let me know,

Brad