Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 1986 dodge ram 50, 2.0 when i start it in the

Customer Question

I have a 1986 dodge ram 50, 2.0
when i start it in the morning is smokes, blueish white. After a minuet or two iit stops smoking, the idle at first is very slow and begans to pick up speed as it warms. when the engine get to operating temperature it dies. I have been able to start and run the truck. Howerver it does not idle on its own. while driving the engine turns it self off, I can pull over for a few minuets and strat and run the truck again.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

hello and thank you for your question. I will do my best to give soild advice based on the information you give me. blue smoke is consistant with burning oil.. the fact that this happens at first start up and goes away would seem like you may need new valve seals.. oil leaks past them into the ccumbustion chamber. and once they warm and expand the re seal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the idle and the engine dieing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why does the engine stop running when I driving ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I replace the valve seals without removing the head?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

yes you can.. which ever valve seals you are changing bring that piston up to top dead center. this will prevent the valve from falling into the combustion chamber, I also stick a piece of hose on the end of the valve to hold it. as far as the idle and stall issues that could be a number of things.. check your vacumm lines and being check the throttle body to see if maybe the injector is dumping fuel rather that spraying it..