Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

When my six seven 2011 Dodge idols period it starts to knock

Customer Question

When my six seven 2011 Dodge idols for a long period it starts to knock and then it idles up what sensor could be the problem
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Is the check engine light on?

Has it been scanned for codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it has not been scan and no the check engine light doesn't come on after a few minutes or when I shut it off and leave it sit for a few minutes I started back up and it's fine
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

At this time, I recommend a scan to be sure. If there are no codes stored in the ECM, this is most likely a NORMAL condition. It's possible that during this long idling time that the ECM may have put the Emissions Aftertreatment system into the "Stationary Regeneration" mode. When this happens, the engine RPM is raised to a higher RPM and the sound of the engine can change as this occurs. Also the EGR system may begin cycling on and off. This can and DOES cause changes in the way the engine sounds AND DOES cause the engine idle to raise up.

As long as the scan shows no codes and the "Knocking" sound is not very pronounced, this would be considered normal. If it is possible for you to make a video recording of this happening, and if you can post it here so I can review it and hear the noise for myself I will be able to confirm if it is normal or not... Let me know if you can do this and we can continue from there....

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks!", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark "http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-Robertr/?r=SprinterRob&bt=0" My Profile Page "" (Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it.

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

My goal is to answer your question to your complete satisfaction, and would like to earn your business now and in the future.

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert