Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2004 Sprinter van starts good but after running it 15

Customer Question

2004 Sprinter van starts good but after running it for about 15 minutes, it will not start for over 30 minutes. The fuel pump will not pump fuel to start it. Is there a shut-off somewhere in the fuel line? .
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

How many miles on the Sprinter? Have you tried using ether to start it when it won't start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
265,000 miles, I can start it and let it run all day ok. But if I shut it off after running about 30 minutes, it will not start .acts like it is not getting fuel . It has a new injector pump on it and some new sensors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can let it set for about 45 minutes, then it will start. Acts like something is getting hot and shutting off the fuel .
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

With 265k miles, I suspect that one or more injectors are worn out and causing a hard or no start when warm. An easy test for this is to run an injector return flow test. If you want to try to run this test yourself, let me know. I can post a procedure that you can use to test for excessive injector return flow...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert