sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2007 Dodge Charger 5.7 Daytona 108,790 miles I'm

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Dodge Charger 5.7 Daytona
108,790 miles
I'm starting to hear a ticking sound from underneath the car....happens during start up and at idle...it does goes away but comes back..I think it's the lifters but could be fuel injectors dealership can't seem to pinpoint it..any idea what it may be? I turned the MDS off with a tuner and I don't hear it as much except during start up and it's minimal
Also
I want to upgrade my fuel rails, push rods, and lifters....I want to add 6.1 fuel rails and push rods...would these be a good idea and are the compatible?
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's very possible that the noise is coming from one or more lifters. I've replaced lifters on a handful of these engines over the years for ticking, usually when cold.

Replacing the lifters is a large job because it requires removing the heads. A more common cause of a tick on these engines is broken or loose exhaust manifold bolts, the exhaust leak will sound very much like a lifter. Make sure you don't just have a loose exhaust manifold bolt before committing to replacing the lifters.

6.1 fuel rails are not a direct replacement. The fuel inlet is on the opposite side, the rails are the incorrect height for the injectors, and it requires bending of the crossovers to make them fit. They will go on a 5.7 with modification but it's not really something I can recommend from a safety standpoint because of the fuel leak possibility.

The 6.1 pushrods are different lengths than the 5.7. I do see people mentioning using them on modified engines but I wouldn't recommend using incorrect length pushrods and chancing damaging the pushrods, rockers, valves, etc.