-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I have a 2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins engine and a

Customer Question

I have a 2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins engine and a 48RE transmission. It has about 240,000 miles on it. Very recently it got to be hard starting and I was told that it needed new injectors so I had a local independent shop put in a set of reman injectors. Now it starts perfectly, but as soon as it heats up to within a needle's width of 200 on the temp gauge it starts putting out very black exhaust and the power drops way back so that, if I can keep it going, it will hardly maintain 35 or 40 mph. If I can keep it going in 6 to 10 miles it will slowly start running normally. I took it to a second shop, diesel specialists, to have it diagnosed and they told me that it had intermittently too high a fuel pressure in the common rail. Then they got into what I call wanting to randomly change parts with no real reason. Ultimately they wanted to put in a new ECM but said only a Dodge dealer could program one. We put in a known good one and the problem remained so they blamed it on the wrong brand injectors. I pulled the truck out at that point after 3 weeks. I changed the fuel pressure regulator and added a gallon to the cooling system that everyone had missed. But i still have the problem.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

Is the check engine light on and if so what codes are active? It sounds like they didn't use OEM style Bosch injectors and you wil need to swap them for a set of Bosch to clear up your issues... I'm a Dodge dealership Cummins technician and on the side I installed a set of BG injectors and it started blowing white smoke after and I informed him there was no warranty and he would have to pay me again because he used cheap injectors.. You could do a Injector return test but to be honest if you put in a good Bosch set it should clear your issues up.

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are a set of remanufactured injectors purchased through InjectorsDirect.com. out of San Luis Obispo, CA. They looked physically identical to the Bosch injectors we took out. What is the difference? I got this same advise from the diesel specialist shop I took it to but that was after they told me to replace a good (proven non-defective) ecm and then told me that three new injector wiring harnesses would fix things. The problem seems also to be related to the engine operating temp. It runs just fine until the engine temp gauge gets to within a needle's width of 200 deg.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Unless your getting a 1-3 or 3-6 bank shorted codes I would suspect bad injectors.. If you need tp prove it's bad injectors then you will need to perform a injector return test when it's warm and acting up.. Also the injectors should ohm at .006 and any that ohm more or less would indicate a bad injector solenoid which is only serviced with the injector...

I hope this helps and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad