bill
bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
5203640

Check Gages light is on on my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. Oil

Customer Question

Check Gages light is on on my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. Oil pressure gauge is reading low but the others are fine.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

first question is how low is the oil pressure gauge reading?

second have you checked the ACTUAL oil pressure as of yet you can have 2 situations 1 a mechanical failure in the engine that is causing low oil pressure OR an electrical issue like a failed sending unit OR a bad wire that is giving a false reading to the engine computer which is then interpreting the reading incorrectly, the only way to determine this is check the actual oil pressure with a mechanical test gauge, historically these engines have around 20 to 30 psi at idle,warm , and 50 to 60 psi at 2500 rpm also warm, and the gauge must be relatively steady a bouncing gauge indicates an internal failure