Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I have an 06 ram 2500 straight 6 diesel engine 256000 miles

Customer Question

Hi i have an 06 ram 2500 straight 6 diesel engine 256000 miles suddenly started making a loader then normal knocking noise after start up.
was perfectly fine 3 hours prior when we was running errands
any suggestions
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

With 256k on the clock, I suspect that one of the injectors has failed and is causing a fuel knock. At this time, I HIGHLY recommend to have it looked at. If you let it continue and it gets worse, it could easily burn up a piston and cylinder. Don't drive it if possible until you have it checked out... IF you have a scanner and want to run some testing yourself, let me know the make and model of the scanner and we can go from there...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to be sure we are on the same page.
is there a test I can do with out a scanner
disconnect a feul line or something similar?
it is sunday and I need the truck first thing monday morning
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

No, There is no test that you can do for fuel knock on a 2006. NEVER,NEVER disconnect a fuel line while the engine is running. Fuel Spray at these high pressures can be deadly!!!! This is a "Common Rail" engine, meaning that if you disconnect just 1 fuel line before starting the engine, the engine WILL NOT start due to insufficient rail pressure to fire the other injectors.. You MUST use a scanner to perform a fuel injector kill test.

If you had access to the Miller Special tools for fuel flow testing, you would at that time be able to eliminate injectors by "Capping off" the fuel rail after removing a fuel line...

Miller Tools Required for fuel testing ---->> CLICK HERE <----

Thank you,

Robert