Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I have 91 dodge dakota, i recently change fuel pump with

Customer Question

Customer: i have 91 dodge dakota, i recently change fuel pump with sending unit. the fuel gauge hasn't work before i got the truck however i was going to install sending unit so i change the fuel pump because i had issues with the pump anyway. so now i change it and the fuel gauge still doesn't work. i have put the bed back on and don't know which wires operate the sending unit. i want to install another gauge but don't know which wires are from sending unit
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the fuel gauge doesn't work. i originally was going to change sending unit but i purchased a fuel pump with sending unit together because i needed a new fuel pump
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the wait. Are there 5 wires connected to the fuel pump module?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure i put the bed back on.

Below is a diagram showing the wire colors for the gauge. I marked them with a red line.

Those are the ones you want to use. You should be able to find them in the wire harness going to the pump module.

Click here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i don't see dark blue yellow going back only dark blue red along with other wires. also a pink

The color on the wire may be faded. Try and open the harness to see some clean wires and tell me if you find it.