Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I installed upper and lower ball joints on my 1998 Dodge Ram

Customer Question

Customer: Hey ***** *****, I installed upper and lower ball joints on my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500. Used the press tool. went for a test drive and both upper ball joints popped loose out the top of the A-frame
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: More detail??/
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I will waitok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

It appears to me then that the upper control arm holes where the ball joints press into are worn out.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did you remove the upper arms before using the press tool or did you use the tool while the arm was still on the vehicle?