Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

96 dodge 2500 diesel hard to start some times will start

Customer Question

96 dodge 2500 diesel hard to start some times will start right up in the morning then as the day wares on will some times just turn over and not start.but will usual start after several trys
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

If you have any issues with black smoke when it is running under acceleration or when starting up this can be a fault with one or more of the fuel injectors that are leaking down into the engine or allowing to much fuel through.In this case this will also cause hard starting in some situations.I have seen fuel injector failure commonly with the affected injectors needing replaced.If you do have this smoke I would have the injectors tested and replacing any that failed testing.

If there is no black smoke I have seen issues with the high pressure fuel injection pump weaken as it warms up and allows low fuel pressure as well as a restricted fuel filter.If the fuel filter has not been replaced in the last year or 15,000 miles this should be replaced.If it was replaced or is and does not correct this fault the fuel pressure needs tested/checked to see if the pump needs replaced.

One other thing that will help locate the fault here is having the fault codes checked to see what codes are set in the engine computer.If there are any codes set having the codes diagnosed will help locate the fault.If you have had the codes checked and know the code numbers set let me know what these codes are.If not it is a good idea to have this done.If any codes relate to low fuel pressure the filter and pump need checked.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.