Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

After replacing my tps sensor on my 99 Dodge Dakota. I had

Customer Question

After replacing my tps sensor on my 99 Dodge Dakota. I had problems with idoling and staying running. I disconnected the battery and hooked it back up and the problem went away for two days. When starting it will die has trouble unless I give some gas
for a minute and slowly let off it will then run fine otherwise will do the same as before
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

Pay close attention to the condition of your battery. Low system voltage -- that allowing it to drop below 10.5v during engine start -- can and does cause the PCM to lose idle motor step count, which is the only yardstick it has to promote and sustain an engine idle. You've already noticed that a battery disconnect corrected the problem for a short time, so that reinforces my theory that low system voltage is the likely cause for your misery. Put a good battery in your truck and it's almost certainly going to be all good.

By all means shoot me a post if you have any questions or problems. I'm here to help.

Ed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a little corrison I noticed on the positive terminal but the battery istelf is clean but I will look into it
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Hi!

Thanks for the look, but it has more to do with the actual battery chemistry, which totally goes to crap after as little as three years. It depends on your battery load and replenish cycles, but sometimes stuff just happens.

If you have access to a voltmeter, connect directly to the battery to monitor system voltage when you hit the starter. Voltage always drops due to the considerable draw that the starter applies, but the battery should never drop below that magic 10.5 range, even momentarily. If it does, the idle motor won't have the power it needs to complete each command from the PCM and it always results in a lower-than-actual step count being remembered by the PCM. With idle motor step count -- and idle motor pintle position -- now unknown, the PCM assumes the idle motor is open as far as its memory allows. Start-die... unless you hold the throttle open.