Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

2005 dodge dakota 4.7 l engine with p0335 before the head

Customer Question

2005 dodge dakota 4.7 l engine with p0335 before the head job and after and the alternator not charging after doing head job
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The P0335 code is for No Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) learned. Before you do anything try resetting the adaptive memory by disconnecting the battery and touch the cables together for a minute and reconnect the battery. Next try three hard decels on a short road test, then cycle the key off/on to see if the problem and code goes away. Try this and post back with the results and we can work from there. The charging system concern is not likely related . Let see if we can get the P0335 to clear first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the neg battery cable to the positive one did not make it, and today i was trying to rev the engine, the rpm stops at 2000 and pulsates up to 2500 and back down, never had this issue before
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure you have proper fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check it , could it be the alternator you think?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Its possible if the alternator in not charging at the proper rate, the normal charging rate on a running engine should be right at 14 volts at the battery, take your volt meter and check it and see.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how to diagnose my alternator not charging, if we take care of that i think the rest of the parameters would be easier to look at
what is your thought
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Start first with hooking you volt meter to the battery with the engine running and let read the voltage, you need to see 13.5 to 14 volts on a good working alternator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
11.78 volts
The truck wont run if the battery is not on
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The engine needs to be running to check the out put voltage , so are you saying it will not run ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The measured voltage was with the engine running, and while running the engine shuts down when removing the neg cable from the pole
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay then that indicates the alternator is not charging, you are going to need to do some test starting with the alternator. The alternator can be removed and tested at your local part store. To check the circuit to it ,see the steps in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Alt%20Oct%2016.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did not get what to check. do you have apicture
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Im not sure what picture you are needing, can you explain please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mentioned to measure voltage between dark green on pin 19 on c1 connector and the black wire, could not figure out
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The connector is on the PCM and the pins are numbered.