AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I have a 2003 dodge Durango. I put two new tires on the

Customer Question

Hi I'm Deborah. I have a 2003 dodge Durango. I put two new tires on the front and the wheel bearing assembly on the passenger side. But my car still makes a lot of noise. Now what?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

what kind of noise is it making? Is it a rumbling or groaning kind of sound only when in motion?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a groaning sound when in motion. When I turn the steering wheel to the right while driving it stops. But then goes back to groaning when steering wheel is in line. Also the front passenger tire makes a noise. We put on a new wheel bearing assembly on passenger side. When on the jack and we roll the tire all the way around it's fine. When putting a hand on right and left side of the tire and moving it a few inches right and left it makes a noise. It kind of sounds like a click.

Which wheel makes a click when shaking it right to left? the one with the new bearing?

The groaning sound that you have is most likely the driver side wheel bearing. If you can, using a mechanics stethoscope,

Raise the front of the truck and spin the wheel while listening to the bearing. I think you will hear that groaning sound

on the driver side bearing as well. It's not uncommon at all to mistake a bearing sound for one side when it's actually the other side.

We usually listen to them with the stethoscope unless it's so bad that the wheel shakes when raised off the ground.

Sometimes you have to spin it pretty fast to hear the bearing if it's not really bad just yet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the one with the new bearing makes the clicking noise when on the jack and moving it a few inches back and forth, right to left or left to right. When it's on the jack the driver side wheel is tight when moving it with both hands. It does make a slight clicking noise but no groaning. Groaning when vehicle is in motion and stops for a second when the steering wheel is turned slightly to the right.

You definitely have a bad bearing. The wheel can be tight, but still make a groaning sound when the weight of the truck is on it and spinning on the road.

I suspect that it's the driver side because you have already replaced the passenger side but you should try to listen to both sides with a stethoscope while someone spins the wheel and see how they both sound.

The click you hear on the passenger side could be a bad tie rod end, or control arm bushing. Are you able to see where the movement, or click, is coming from if you watch while someone else shakes the wheel?

The click you hear on either side can also be from a bad hub, (or bearing)

If you need further assistance please feel free to ask. If I have answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to rate me. I greatly appreciate it. You can always followup at no charge after rating

Hi Deborah. Did you get it taken care of, or did you still need help?