Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have 2001 Dodge 2500 diesel. This morning I got in it and

Customer Question

I have 2001 Dodge 2500 diesel. This morning I got in it and turned on the ignition key and notice that the instrument cluster didn't light up immediately like normal. It light up a few seconds later and I waited for the "WAIT" light to go out and started the truck. I turned it around and backed to my shop to load a couple of things. I got back in to start it again and nothing came on-no instrument cluster, no radio, nothing. When I turned the ignition to start it nothing happened-it was completely dead. My batteries are good and I have plenty of lights. Sop what am I looking at to fix it?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

Your symptoms are pointing to the ignition switch to blame. Do you have a digital volt meter and do you understand wire diagrams?

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Moose diagnosed the problem correctly. However my need for a response was somewhat urgent and I didn't get a response until the wee hours of the morning when I was sleeping. While I was waiting for a response, I decided to investigate on my own and discovered a broken wire on the wiring harness plug connected to the ignition switch. I fixed it and am back in business. The JUSTANSWER web site may be a help to folks but the timliness of the response negates any benefits in time of real need.

Glad I was right and glad you got it resolved. I wish I had seen your post sooner as I worked down the list so you could of used the deposit you have made to rate my response.

Do you have another concern you would like my help with?