Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2001 5.9 24 valve diesel that had problems in the

Customer Question

i have a 2001 5.9 24 valve diesel that had problems in the mountains pulling our 5th wheel. The check engine light indicated low voltage to MAP sensor. The tranny was stressed and we needed to have it rebuilt. The MAP sensor was changed, but still had the light. The repair man checked all wiring and connections and the light stayed out. However, when I tried to pull the 5th wheel, I had no boost until @2000 rpms and could barely pull the unit. There are no codes and my repair guy doesn't know how to proceed.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

The first thing I need you to do is disconnect the wastegate controller and manually turn the valve to see if its binding?

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We will try your solution this afternoon and let you know if it works.

Super

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The valve is stuck, he can't turn it at all by hand. Should he spray it and try to loosen it with pliers, or is there a way to disassemble, clean and lube it? If he wants to call you and talk, when is the best time?

I do not do phone car diag. He can though submit a phone request and someone else may call. Yes try lube and try to turn it to free it up. He may need to take it apart to clean the gunk out inside that is restricting its movement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still trying to free up the valve.

If you need dis-assembly steps let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's disassembling today. Will let you know how it goes.

Keep in touch if needed, if I do not hear back from you and your rate my answer, Thank You

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll be sure to rate you with '5' stars as soon as I know this works!

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has freed up the valve and has adjusted the rod length, but there is no real improvement in the boost.

Thanks, ***** ***** numbers are stored now that this repair is done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes come up.

So the symptoms remain the same though. Not towing runs great. Towing not a drop of boost till 2000 rpms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2000 they kick in and it runs close to what it should.

Can you compare the boost pressure manually to what the scan tool shows to see if the computer is reading the boost incorrect and controlling the waste gate incorrect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check tomorrow with the mechanic.

Super

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is getting a used computer and putting it in to see if that solves the problem. If not I don't know hot to proceed. You say try "A" and I have to wait till he can get it in the shop, then if that doesn't work you say B and I then have to wait another week etc. How can we make this move forward?

You could buy both parts A and B and return the one not needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, you only suggest one thing, then several days later I find that didn't work then you give me one more possible fix and it takes me three or so days to schedule another appointment with the shop. At this rate we may never find a solution.

Unfortunately when your not able to do the diag and repairs, needing to use a shop to do those but getting information from me. It is going to take much longer. When the shop is not able to just diagnose and fix it themselves it will take much longer being your needing to try and seek help elsewhere. I do not know how to speed up the process being a 3rd wheel.