Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have an 03 ram 1500 4x4 ext cab with 4.7l when i really

Customer Question

i have an 03 ram 1500 4x4 ext cab with 4.7l when i really step on it to pass it will down shift 2 gears but wont shift up until i let off
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Does the check engine light come on while driving?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks. I want to check something in the service manual. I will be right back.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I am back. Thanks for waiting. Since you do not have a check engine light coming on, then I doubt you have a failing solenoid or sensor. Also this truck does not use a conventional transmission kick down cable. It is all electronic when it comes to down shifting. This is determined by the voltage signal from the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). The TPS can tell the PCM (engine and transmission computer) where you have the throttle at. If the signal is a little too high, then it thinks you are into the throttle more than you really are. Now if the TPS has not been changed on this truck, then I recommend starting there first. It mounts to the side of the throttle body and is not too difficult to replace. Have a shop replace it for you or if you have mechanical experience I can send you the procedure on how to do it yourself. Now if you do replace it, PLEASE use only the factory OEM TPS. There are some inferior after market sensors out there.

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

If the problem continues after replacing the TPS, then there may be an issue with the transmission's valve body and then you will need to have a transmission shop replace that for you.

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

I hope this information is helpful!

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
absolutely thanks! keep my fingers crossed its the tps lol, though thinking about it now i haven't changed the trans filter it has about 75,000 on the filter
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome! Do change the fluid and filter also. It should have been done at 60,000 miles.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

By the way, when you get a moment would you rate my service today, accept my answer? I would really appreciate it, because I get no credit unless you do. If you have more questions after you rate, no worries. I will continue to assist you.

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris