Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

2004 dodge3500 5.9. when you have your oot on the brake,

Customer Question

2004 dodge3500 5.9. when you have your oot on the brake, transmission in forward or reverse, and you press the accelerator, nothing happens. the engine wont throttle up at all. I put blocks around the tires, and i have the same problem. its like its not responding at all. The engine idle is about 8 to 900 RPMs. The problem with the acceleration happened at the same time my RPM problem started.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Does the engine rpm "Flare up" when you shift into neutral or park when this is happening?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

When I say "Flare Up" does it flare up above 1000 rpm then go back down to the normal 800 to 900 rpm?

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

with the blocks in place, does your foot still have to be on the brake pedal for this to happen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I'm not available for a phone call at this time but if you want to continue here, go ahead and post a reply answering my last post and we can continue from there....

Sorry about the call request and thank you for inquiring...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. With the blocks in place, foot off the brake, you ouch the accelerator pedal, nothing happens. The RPM, actually drop about 25, +/- a few RPM's.
Also if your just sitting there with the brake applied, transmission in drive, the truck will overheat.
When you crank the truck, apply the brake, it feels like the transmission is loading up, maybe in a higher gear, but won't "power brake" if you know what I mean.
Once the truck is able to roll a few feet, it accelerates pretty good.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Cool, that is exactly what I was expecting to "hear" from you... What has happened is your Torque Converter Clutch has failed. What has happened is that the converter clutch is remaining partially engaged and loading up the engine. Since RPM needs to rise slightly before the turbo will start to spool up it will not allow the engine RPM to raise up any to spool the turbo and results in a no power issue. This may also result in excess smoke out the tailpipe when this is occurring. After rolling a few feet, the engine RPM is allowed by the converter to raise high enough to begin spooling the turbo and then you will get good acceleration at that point...

Chances are that if the converter clutch has failed, there is likely debris throughout the transmission requiring the need for complete transmission overhaul... During reassembly it's a good idea to install a high performance "Billet" torque converter. These are pretty robust and can handle heavy towing without failure....

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would this or could this have happened if the wrong transmission fluid was added. I had my son take it down to get full service done on it. They changed all the fluid on the truck. Afterwards this started happening, and I have changed the trans oil twice now, as I suspected the problem would be in the trans. The shop flushed the system and didn't use synthetic oil.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

No, I've seen this many many times, each time the vehicle had normal ATF +4 in there... so this can happen no matter what fluid is in there. But if something other than transmission fluid was added, all bets are off...

Thank you,

Robert

____________________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please kindly "Rate" my service, it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and thanks for asking your question!

Robert