Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

I have a Dodge 2006 Caravan with a 3.3L engine. Coolant has

Customer Question

I have a Dodge 2006 Caravan with a 3.3L engine. Coolant has been leaking out at a rate of about 2 litres per time driven. Coolant does not leak when car is sitting. There doesn't appear to be leakage from hoses or radiatior or overflow bottle. Do you know what the problem is?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for you question,

If you are not seeing any external leaks then you are likely dealing with an internal leak usually caused by a seeping head gasket. I would start first with performing a cooling system pressure test to check and see if there are any external leaks, if you don not find any and the pressure does not hold then the next step would be to perform a cooling system block test. Its a fairly easy test to run. The test checks the cooling system for any signs of hydro-carbons in the cooling system. You can get the kit to do the test at any parts store for about $20.00.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is a cooling system block leak, what do I do to repair it?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If it dose no pass the block test then that means the head gaskets are leaking and the fix would require removing the heads, having them checked to be sure there not warped and or cracked and the head gaskets would need replacement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What needs to be done if the heads are cracked or wraped
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the heads are cracked which is pretty rare, they would need to be replaced. If they are warped then the machine shop will resurface them and they can be reused. It may not require even this if its just bad gaskets. Before you get to concerned the pressure test as well as block test needs to be ran and it will determine which way you will need to proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I expect the cost to resurface head ? Or cost to replace with a used head? Is it advisable to replace with a used head?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I would not go with used head and most machine shops will refurbish the head for about $250 give or take a few dollars and by doing so they come out just like new, the refurbish consist of planing if needed, valve grind if needed and magna fluxing to check for any cracks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the heads are cracked which is pretty rare, they would need to be replaced. So they would need to be replaced with a new head only?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

No if they do end up being cracked then you could go with used ones proving they are checked by the machine shop or you can also purchased re-manufactured heads all ready ready to install.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is a cooling system block leak, what do I do to repair it? This question was never answered.
I still do not know the steps required to remove the head to either replace the gasket or get it resurfaced. Are there step by step instructions and diagrams avaialable?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Its not likely a block leak but instead a head gasket or even a crack in the heads, most likely just blown head gaskets and to fix then you will need to start first with doing the block test, if after doing so and it proves the head gasket are leaking then I can provide the steps to remove them. Its your call, you need to get the block test performed FIRST.