Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

2000 dodge ram 1500 starts and runs -3 miles then shuts off

Customer Question

2000 dodge ram 1500 starts and runs for 1-3 miles then shuts off and wont restart . I have to wait 3-5 minutes for it to restart then same sequence occurs
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer!There are 3 common causes for this. 1 a failing crank shaft position sensor, 2 a failing cam shaft position sensor, and 3 a failing PCM (engine computer). Either one can act up when the engine warms up. What I recommend is to try to get your Ram to an auto parts store like AutoZone and ask them to connect their scan tool to your vehicle and check for any trouble codes. If there is a code for "loss of crank sensor signal or cam shaft sensor signal" then have the appropriate sensor replaced. If there are no codes at all, then suspect a failing PCM and have it replaced. Another clue that it is the PCM is the OBD monitors will have reset to a "not ready" or incomplete" status. Most auto parts stores will connect their scan tool for no charge to you.

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine light was on but when problem occurred it went out
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Well there may have been another reason for the light to come on like another sensor, but if it went off after it died, then that is a good sign it is the PCM.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris