Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

2002 Dodge Durango 5.9 V8 will start fine when warm. In cold

Customer Question

2002 Dodge Durango 5.9 V8 will start fine when warm. In cold weather it will crank, but hard to start. Once finally started, it will run like a champ and restart easily. The check engine light will be on, after started after hard start. Took it to Auto Zone and was throwing a crank shaft or position sensor code. Once it has been restarted after warm, check engine light goes off. We replaced the sensor last winter and no problem. Now that it is cold again, it is doing the same thing, intermittently. We also replaced the PCM before the crank shaft sensor went out. Replaced belt. A couple days ago we got the ABS and Brake light go on, but then it went off after we started it again. I was thinking maybe the alternator, but there is no dimming, no other symptoms. No backfire, just the hard to start when cold weather hits.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Goood morning, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

Let's start with another trouble code scan if you don't mind... something we can do without a scanner on your 2002 "Rango.

Hop in the vehicle, insert your key in the ignition and roll it from off to on three times, leaving it ON after the last cycle. If keeping score, it looks like OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON.

Then watch the odometer window in the instrument cluster, where any stored (matured) codes will be displayed in P-code format. Write 'em down exactly as displayed. The end-of-test prompt will be "P-done" whether any codes were shown or not, but if you've had a MIL illumination recently, there will be something waiting for us.

Also, let me know how many seconds of continuous cranking it takes to get the engine to fire up.

And if it's rough at first or comes alive running perfectly fine once it does.

I'll be available a good part of today for a live phone call if that would help.

Aaaaaand we'll talk in a bit.

Ed