cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  was a mechanic in the army for four years and have been working at a dealer ship the past five years
74954164

When I turn the switch on my 2004 Dodge Durango you only

Customer Question

When I turn the switch on my 2004 Dodge Durango you only click the fuel gauge and all the dash gauges do not light up the lights come on the heater and the radio but nothing in the dashboard area comes on I tried doing the ignition thing but the odometer won't light up
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

here is your service request

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I refused because I've been waiting all day for a response via email or text so I refuse to pay an additional $18 for a phone conversation I still haven't got no response for the money I paid earlier
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

i just got an email saying you requested a phone call witch i can provide for you but if it is a phone call you want its extra if not i can provide you the information you need here on the site

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can u help me with my problem without the extra charge
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

i sure can so you have replaced the battery and checked the terminals but you get power to nothing when you turn the key is that correct

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct I got power to the dome light the radio the heater but the odometer the gas meter and - control lights wont come on
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

was it doing this before you replaced the battery or did it start after the replacement

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was doing it before that's why I replace the battery in the terminals and also checked all the fuses
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

normally i would have you check the starter to make sure you are getting power to it while you can still test i dont think that is the problem considering if it was the starter everything would still work so with that it leads me to believe that it is the ignition switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I need to drop the cover and test the wires or an if I swap out the switch what I need to have a new key security key made or how can I tell if its to switch another word
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

The ignition lock cylinder is the most common cause of this, the security system disables the starter when there is a problem. The lock cylinder usually gets a break in the wiring and this happens. Measure the resistance of the key resistor pellet at the base of the ignition key. Next, find the two-wire harness coming from the Ignition Lock Cylinder at the base of the steering column. Insert the key in the Ignition Lock Cylinder and check the resistance at the base of the column. It should be the same as the key. Watch the ohmmeter while turning the key all the way to crank position and back to off several times. If the reading is open or it varies, the Ignition Lock Cylinder is faulty. Replace the Ignition Lock Cylinder. Bring the old key to a dealer to have it matched to a new key. There are different resistor pellets available and the key and lock cylinder pellets must remain the same value.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay you lost me I have no idea about the resistance where to test it where to place at the meter what type of meter is there a way to simplify this for me or YouTube video
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

you will need a multimeter ohms setting i will see if i can find you a you tube video to walk you trough it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok tomorrow when I get back to my wife job I will get the proper tools and follow your instruction if is not the switch will I be able to reach you again for further follow up or troubleshooting
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

https://youtu.be/DpkDW2zUCms

here is how to test with a test light instead a multimeter it will be easier for you just copy the url it will tell if its the ignition switch or the starter either one

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will you be available tomorrow at the run this test or will I have to pay an additional fee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant after I run this test
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

no i will be available just be sure to rate my service when you get the chance

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I replace the ignition the plastic peace over by where the windshield wiper handle is located and they're still is no change
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

Dis you use the test light to make sure the ignition switch was working

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the worst service ever I would never pay or recommended anyone pay for these services again the response time is ridiculous I had it towed to the Dodge dealership thank you very much
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

I do apologize I have been having problems with my internet connection

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you truly want to apologize have your company refund my money other than that and I said cars at the dealership now it's beyond both of our control have a great night
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

You as well I will request a refund for you