sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge Ram 5.9 would start until I checked pcodes. Died 3

Customer Question

Dodge Ram 5.9 would start until I checked pcodes. Died 3 times today and wouldn't start until I checked pcodes. It's like it resets computer, cause I can get it to start but only after checking pcodes, will display p done and then will start.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check engine light did not come on during any of these. I did try and disconnect the battery during one of the episodes to see if the computer would reset, this didn't seem to work as I still had to get p done to display before it would start. I am thinking the ecm is bad?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

When the engine dies and isn't restarting, if you turn the key on do the fuel gauge and voltmeter come up or do they stay down at that time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the gauges work when it does this. I was hunting and wasn't sure I would make it back home. Engine would crank and seemed to be getting gas. But would not fire until I got pdone to register.

How did you determine it had fuel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok maybe I couldn't confirm it, I could hear the fuel pump engage. What does this have to do with it starting once I got p done code to display?

Did you check for spark at the time it wouldn't start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hunting and alone, so had no way to check spark. Like I said it would crank but not start until I got p done code to flash. It died 3 times and each time same rutine. Was able to get it off the mountain and home. I have started it everyday for past 2 days. Afraid to drive to far from home and have it die on me.

If the gauges still worked at the time of the no start then the powertrain control module was still awake. If no codes were set then you either lost fuel pressure or you may have lost spark due to a failed coil or coil wire issue. You can do a visual inspection of the coil wire to make sure it isn't burnt or shorting to the valve cover or exhaust manifold. Also check the coil for spreading of the plates and cracking of the coil body.

If nothing can be seen visibly then the next step will be to check for spark at the time the problem happens, if spark is ok then move to checking fuel pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will check the coil. Just seemed weird that it started once I got p done to display. Why would that occur?

The only way that may have not been a coincidence is that would have been causing the fuel pump to run each time the key was cycled. A failing fuel pump won't come back to life for very long though if that's the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pump is only 2 years old. Doesn't mean that is not the issue. But it lasted long enough to the last time to get me off the mountain and drive 25 miles home. Something reset when I got p done code?

Cycling the key wouldn't cause or allow anything to reset. I suspected that that the PCM wasn't awake while the engine wasn't starting but if the gauges worked then it should have been.