sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Getting trouble code: P1004 Mod$00 Manuf.Contrl fuel &Air

Customer Question

getting trouble code: P1004 Mod$00 Manuf.Contrl fuel &Air Metering, Auxiliary Emission Control.
I'm not a pro but I do
most of my own work when possible to save $. Can you tell from this code what the problem is or a testing sequence I may be able to follow to determine the problem. I also have intermittent rough idle upon starting/take 5 seconds of turning over to start symptoms.
Thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

Do you have a scan tool capable of running a short runner valve actuator test?

Do you get any smoke from the tailpipe when it starts hard?

Is it using any coolant?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The scan tool performs other tests but not the srva test unfortunately. No noticeable smoke upon start up but I'll keep a better eye out for it next time it starts hard. Definitely no coolant loss.
It may be unrelated but sometimes when its still warming up I here a knocking coming from the rear. Almost like someone is locked in the trunk and trying to get my attention. Its not suspension related as this happens both when I'm moving and stopped idling. I dont know if this can be tied into the original problem or it is just coincidence that it started just prior to the aforementioned symptoms.

Have you removed the short runner valve actuator and moved the valve by hand to check for binding, looseness or excessive travel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not familiar with these newer vehicles. I dont know what a short runner valve actuator is, what it looks like or where it is located. Is there only 1? 1 per cylinder? Do I need to check all of them?

The short runner valve is internal in the plenum, the actuator is mounted external of the plenum and moves to control the valve. It's a black box held on with 8mm screws.

The issue may be software related but it could also be the actuator or a broken or binding valve. The correct way to diagnose it is first update the powertrain control module software and then actuate the actuator with a scan tool and watch the duty cycle which will determine if the actuator or plenum are condemned. If no scan tool is available then the best thing to do would be remove the actuator and feel the valve. If it's broken or binding then the plenum will need to be replaced, if it feels ok then the actuator can be replaced to see if that takes care of it.

The starting issue could be the cam sensor but that should set a P0340 or 344. If no codes are setting then I suspect an injector is leaking or pressure could possibly be bleeding off back through the fuel pump check valve.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
these are the actuators right? Does a dealer need to update the PCM software or can it be done through a better scanner? Is it possible to bench test the actuator without the scanner?As far as the injectors are concerned, would replacing the injector o-rings take care of the leak? If the fuel pressure is bleeding off through the check valve that would mean a bad check valve right? Where is the check valve located and is it serviceable?

The short runner valve is the one in the center.

Updating the software would need to be done at a dealer or independent shop that both has dealer equipment and a subscription to be able to download the update.

There isn't anything that can be done to bench test the actuator.

If an injector is leaking it would need to be replaced.

If fuel pressure is bleeding off through the pump it would require the pump to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry it took so long to get back to you I had to order the actuator. So I pulled off the actuator and checked the valve and it was very dirty but moving freely. I pulled off the intake plenum to get a better look and cleaned it up checked all the flaps and to me it doesn't look like anything is wrong with it. Replaced the gasket put it back together and still got the 1004 code. Just installed the new actuator today and now i get a 1004 code and a 2017 code. For shts and giggles I plugged in the old actuator and could clear the 2017 code but nothing seems to be helping that 1004 code. I checked with a number of mechanics and other Just Answers mechanics and none of them have ever heard of a software update actually fixing this issue. So where does that leave me exactly? Is the new actuator faulty? Is that why I get another code? Replace the plenum? That puts me $700 in the hole to clear an engine light for a vehicle that seems to be running fine otherwise.

TSB 18-003-07 is for a PCM flash for this code setting. Whoever the other people were you talked to apparently weren't that familiar with the vehicle. The P2017 is for an issue with the actuator's position sensor and if that only sets when the replacement actuator in place then you have a bad replacement. Otherwise it's a wiring issue with the position sensor.

If the actuator is replaced, the P2017 no longer sets but the P1004 does then the next step will be to flash the PCM to the current software. If that doesn't take care of it then the plenum will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just pulled off the new one and it came out in 2 pieces... not good. Tested the resistance across the 2 leads i assume are the coil for the actuator and it showed open. The old one had about 6 ohms. Definitely not good. Come to think of it, I did clear the codes, started it, rechecked and was clear after replacing the actuator. Then I drove for about 15 minutes before the check engine light came on. I assumed it just took that long to register but maybe it actually was working until the new one fried. Ever heard of one going out that fast or just defective? I'll have to send it back for a replacement and get back to you.

Unless it was installed incorrectly or otherwise somehow damaged during installation then you either got a bad replacement or possibly it was damaged in shipping.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Success or sort of. I installed the actuator again today after receiving it and cleared the codes and it seemed to be staying clear. However, when I went to the smog center (which is the entire reason for the question to begin with) it didnt pass and the tech or whatever he is said that it takes time to reset??? . He said I would have to drive 100 or 200 miles and it MIGHT clear. He seemed pretty unsure but said that because I cleared the trouble code after replacing the actuator it takes an UNKNOWN amount of time to pass. This is so frustrating, now what??

After a battery disconnect or clearing fault codes all OBDII monitors have to run and pass or you'll automatically fail an emissions test. All monitors will pass through normal driving over a couple hundred mile span usually.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well hearing it from you makes me feel it little better. You say usually, does that mean I drive 300 miles and it still doesn't pass its because I have an emissions problem that doesn't get picked up by the check engine light or do I need to see the dealer for him to do some type of reseting??

If the monitors don't pass quickly it's because of driving style, for instance not keeping it in the correct speed/RPM/engine load range for long enough to get the catalytic converter monitor to run. Worst case scenario would be to have someone with a scan tool drive the car after a cold soak while monitoring data to make sure everything stays in the range where monitors will run, but that shouldn't be necessary.