-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Break lights won't work on my 2003 durango

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

Can I get the last 8 digits of your VIN to grab a wiring diagram? Also what has been done to correct this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3f577887
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

I attached the wiring diagram..

Can you test for 12v on the Pink/Dark Blue wire pin 1 at the brake light switch? Then press the brakes and see if there is 12v on the White/Tan wire..

Keep me posted,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the fuses...they're good. I checked the bulbs...they're good. I was testimated the pins to the break light switch and number one and number two don't light up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The white/tan wire has power
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

If the White/Tan has 12v when you press the brakes then the switch is good.. Is the 3rd brake light working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Can you remove the 3rd brake light and tell me if the white/tan has 12v when you apply the brakes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected the 3rd light....the white/tan pin lights up with or without the pedal depressed
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Ok now can you tell me if the White/Tan has 12v at the brake light switch without pressing the brakes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only when I press the pedal
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Ok here is what I see... You said the 3rd brake light has 12v on the White/Tan wire without pressing the brakes and you also said that the brake light switch only has 12v on the WHite/Tan wire when it's pressed so how is the 3rd brake light getting voltage and if it has voltage why isn't it coming on? Are you sure it has 12v and ground? If so then see if the 3rd brake light is blown..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mistake...the white and tan at the switch lights up with or without the pedal pressed. Now when I go to the 3rd light at the connection point it has no power with or without the pedal pressed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I connect the harness to the break switch and I press the pedal the white/tan at the switch will light but when I release the light will be go off on the tester. When I check the 3rd light the tester won't lit up either way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the three bulbs in the 3rd light and two seem good a third one the filament is not broken but it's not coiled like the other ones...
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Ok if the brake light switch only sends 12v on the WHite/Tan when pressed then the brake light switch is fine.. Now have you checked the rear taillights for 12v on the WHite/Tan wire? Can you swap bulbs in the 3rd brake light and see if it lights up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't have any extra bulbs for the third light...the tail lights don't get any power when the pedal is push...tester won't lit up either way (pressed pedal or not)
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry for the confusion but If the brake light switch is only sending out 12v on the WHite/Tan wire when press then then that same White/Tan wire goes to the junction block which is the inside fuse box and then to the 3rd and rear taillights... Now if the switch is working it should have 12v at the 3rd brake light WHite/Tan wire as well as the taillights on the same WHite/Tan wire... Can you recheck and wiggle the ground on your test light and make sure we do or do not have voltage on the 3 lights... Have you checked all the fuses on the inside and outside fuse boxes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's frustrating...the tester lights up on the white tan at the break switch when pedal is pushed...nothing at the 3rd or tail lights. I checked the fuses under the hood....I don't see anything mared for the break lights on the inside fuse box
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

SInce the brake light switch is working properly then you issue is inbetween the junction block and taillights.. I would grab the test light and test all the interior fuses with the key on.. Let me know if you find any bad... The next step we will need to backprobe the junction block to see if it's recieving the 12v from the brake light switch..

Keep me posted,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started the vehicle and tested with the tester the fuses inside the all lit except #5,15,12...I probed the 8 under the hood and the probe did not lit at all..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But by looking at all of the fuses inside and out they don't look burned up.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

I attached fuse 5 which goes to the brake light.. Did the fuse not light on both side or just one side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it was fuse 9
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Now are the fuses dead on both side or just one? If just one then replace the fuse and let me know if the brake lights work..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ones outside lit up on both sides...the ones inside don't light up on both sides
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

If you will look at the wiring diagram the White/Tan goes to Splice 311.. I attached a location for s311, can you check it and see if it has 12v?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What part of vehicle is that
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The rear quarter panel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get to the splice...
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

By looking at the picture you will need to remove the quarter panel and then locate the splice... But before you do that let's check the junction block and see if the 12v from the switch is getting to the junction block.. You will need to find the White/Tan wire in the C11 connector on the backside of the junction block.. Let me know if it has 12v when you press the brakes..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where's the junction block
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The junction block is the interior fuse box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry what I mean was wich one is the c11 connector there are four connectors coming out...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm kind of giving up....I think I'm way over my head!
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

I Attached C11.. Its a white 11 way connector

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
u said it's right behind the interior fuse box?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Yes it's plugged into the back of the junction block..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power at the c11
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Did you locate the White/Tan pin 15? And did you test when you pressed the brake pedal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Y3s
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Someone said it could be a multiswitch? Is that true