-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

My 2013 Durango Citadel has burning oil smell in the cabin.

Customer Question

My 2013 Durango Citadel has burning oil smell in the cabin. No leaks in sight. Recent oil change revealed motor oil in the air cleaner housing and an oil-soaked air cleaner. Oil Change tech sais it's a common problem with the Dodge Hemi in the Durango and it's a poorly designed PCV valve issue.
Found the following on a Dodge Durango Forum: "As you look back on this thread you will see that I have had this burning oil smell issue since this vehicle was brand new. My Durango now has 42K and this week the check engine light came on and started running rough and was burning fuel rich. When I brought it to the dealer I reminded them that this issue happened once before under warranty (O2 sensor). Later in the day I get a call from the dealer and they tell me I was correct. It was the same O2 sensor that they replaced previously. He also said that it is odd for O2 sensors to go bad this frequently and upon further investigation they found oil seeping onto the O2 sensor from the PCV valve area and right valve cover. The following text is what was stated on my invoice. Replaced the O2 sensor, PCV valve and right valve cover. In order to replace the revised PCV hose and revised PCV valve, had to remove the wiper cowl assembly to gain access to the PCV hose clamp at the back of the intake. Reassembled and removed fault codes and reset PCM memory."
What say you?
Thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

If oil is droping on the O2 sensors then it's very likely the oil cooler is leaking in the intake valley. Can you check and see if there is oil in the intake valley and let me know?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only oil evident is in the air cleaner housing, and there is significant oil accumulating in there. The oil change tech removed the plastic cowl over the top of the Hemi and showed me where the oil was being blown by the pcv valve and into the air-cleaner housing. Again, he said it's common in the Dodge Hemi Durangos and some Chevy SUVs as well.Not sure if the burnt oil smell is coming from the pcv valve blow-by, but it sure seems like a possible cause. At any rate I want the oil blow-by problem resolved.ThanksIf it's as common as he says, Dodge must be aware of it and has a fix?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Ok since you have a HEMI then the issue is the Tech is pumping the oil in too fast when you do a oil change.. To prevent the oil from entering the air filter you need to add the oil slowly and/or remove the tube from the valvecover to the airfilter.. This is a common issue we see and the tech should have known better.. The next time the oil is changed try this and I think you will be pleased...

Glad I could help,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I don't agree that it's an oil filling issue.The air cleaner housing isn't connected to the oil filler port? How could oil be pumped into the air cleaner housing.The oil is clearly being blown into the housing by the pcv valve.Is Dodge dodging the issue?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Do you have this tube from the air cleaner to the valvecover?