-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

My 2007 Durango SLT has a 5.7L Hemi, all time 4wd, and a tow

Customer Question

my 2007 Durango SLT has a 5.7L Hemi, all time 4wd, and a tow package. It has for the past two weeks been having the "SVC 4WD" caution light coming on intermittently on dry smooth straight roads. Then yesterday it tried to auto shift into 4LOW while I was traveling at about 45mph, which resulted in some concerning grinding and clanking until I could decelerate to a proper 4LOW speed. I stopped and manually shifted back into 4High in the proper manner and everything seemed fine. Today the "SVC 4WD" started coming on again. Any thoughs on what may be going wrong.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

Since it shows "Service 4WD" the that means there are DTC(Diagnostic Trouble Codes) set that will need to be read to determien the issue.. Can you have the codes read and post them here so I can see whats going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can that be done at AutoZone or would I need to go to the dealership? We live a ways out of town from a Dealership.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

They may be able to read the codes.. You will need to make sure they use a scantool and not a code reader to retrieve the codes. Once you hav them post them here so I can se whats going on.

Brad