-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and I have the same codes

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and I have the same codes but my truck shifts until over drive when od is operated the truck shakes so I turn it off please help
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

So if your driving down the road and when the transmisison shifts into 4th or lockup it starts shaking and won't quit until you press the OD button? It sounds ike a bad converter and if so then you will need to pull the transmission to replace it.. How does the fluid look? Is it bright red or dark with a burnt smell? When is the last time it was serviced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fluid is dark but still red and there's no burn smell at all and yes it will shake till I push the od button
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply!!
!

Ok if it quits when you push the OD button then the transmisison will need to be removed and replace the torque converter.. When you pull the pan if there is any metal I would look into rebuilding the tranmission but if no metal I would just replace the converter and make sure to flush the cooler.. If it won't flush replace the cooler because it will burn u the transmission if it's clogged...

Glad I could help,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the codes I have been getting ? P1388 and p1765
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The P1388 is a ASD issue which isn't transmisison related but the P1765 is a transmission code which I attached the test.. Feel free to run the disgnostics but it likely has nothing to do with your shaking issue..

Glad I could help and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand but if the 12 volt power was switching on and off couldn't the tranny be dropping over drive on and off causing the truck to shake ? just wanna make sure I got this clear
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

I have never had anything other than a bad converter cause shaking, but you are more than welcome to follow the test to find the issue... But I feel that you will find the converter bad which is causing the shaking....

And remember all follow up questions are free of charge so if you need anymore help feel free to give me a reply..

Brad