I. Silva
I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have been working on all makes and models for over 30 years.
46707633

My 2003 ram 1500 4x4 has a braking issue. It

Customer Question

My 2003 ram 1500 4x4 has a braking issue. It "bucks/vibrates" on braking. No pedal pulse or steering wheel vibration. Whole truck feels vibration. New rotors and pads on all 4 wheels - three sets on front axle to no avail. Removed abs fuse and no change. Where to look next?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Hello...welcome and thank you for using justanswer.

Check the front axle shafts u-joints by the hubs.

Remove one end of the front drive shaft and spin it by hand for possible bad u-joints , do the same with rear drive shaft.

Also ,make sure the front wheel bearings turn smooth.

Good luck .

Let me know.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope you are right but I failed to mention the front suspension was checked out by a shop. Also there is no noise or vibration while normal driving. Guess I'll have to get dealership to diagnose
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Hi there...this are the most common things ,you did mention on your first post that the whole truck vibrates and if there is nothing wrong with rotors I would check what I mention above as the first step.

Front axle u-joints .

Rear drive shaft U-joints .

Posssible loose wheel bearings.

Good luck.

Let me know.

Please rate my answer if I have helped.

Thank you very much

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. This looks like more than I want to tackle. I'll see what the dealership finds next week and let you know.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Yes , there are definitely a few things that need o be checked befre starting replacing parts.

let me know what is the dealer word and I will give you my opinion.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an appointment with Dodge dealership service next Tuesday. I'll let you know what they find. I'll rate your services then
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good let me know what they find and I will give you a honest opinion.

Make sure you mention that you have disconnected the ABS system because they will scan the vehicle ...if they see that there is a code for the abs unit ,they would try to sell it to you.

Let me know

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dealership found sticking calipers. They're replacing them next week and trying the rotors on the truck. Thanks for the suggestions but so far they have not been found to be the issue
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry I did not help ,unfortunately I don't have the vehicle on me ,I can only go from what you tell me and you did say that was no brake pulsation and steering vibration when stepping on the brake pedal and then you said that the whole vehicle vibrates ,this made me think that the problem was the drive shaft or axle u-joints once beside the bad rotors (out of round) are pretty what can give you vibration.

The stiff brake calipers can give you problems after the brakes get really hot and warped your rotors

I have a feeling that you may get a call from the dealer with more (bad) news about this problem.

Good luck.

Let me know how did it go.

Thank you very much for the reply.