Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I have 2010 dodge 3500 diesel I chaged the fuel filter out,

Customer Question

I have 2010 dodge 3500 diesel I chaged the fuel filter out, after it was finished it leaked and spilled fuel down across the starter. I can't get it started now, it just clicks once [loud], binks lights, and my windsheild wipers come on one swipe and stop.... I tested the starter and it tested fine... I think something has shorted out but I don't know what to test
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Have the batteries ever been replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but the show full charge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

If the batteries have never been replaced since new, I suspect that at least one of them has failed and is bringing the reserve cranking capacity down too much causing this issue. My recommendation is to at least have BOTH batteries load tested and replace both if even only one fails. I suspect that the hood being open and the light being on while the fuel filter was replaced is what brought the batteries down too much to crank the engine.

Spilling fuel on the starter will in no way affect starting of the engine. This is a very common occurence and I have never had one not start due to replacement of the fuel filter.

______________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer!

Thank you!

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would a failing battery act as a short in the system?
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Yes, a battery can short internally and when you try to put a load on it, it shuts off or "Reboots" the computers and that is why you get the intermittent single wipe of the wipers and a single loud click when you try to start it. The loud click is the starter attempting to engage. When the voltage drops below a certain threshold, the voltage spike shuts down the onboard computers and can cause the exact symptoms you describe..

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks!", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark My Profile Page (Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it.

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

My goal is to answer your question to your complete satisfaction, and would like to earn your business now and in the future.

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert