Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 2002. 3 cylinder. Truck stalled and

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Dodge Ram 1500 2002. 3 cylinder. Truck stalled and recently and was told to change Gas pump on.at Just ask. Truck turned on...idled fine. Brother changed oil forgot to replace oil and I revved up truck around block. Started noticing oil gauge
dipping every time I let go of acceleration and truck turned off. Brother replaced oil and it stopped turning off but still have oil gauge issue.He said he needed to change bearings but cant remove oil pan...then says needs new engine. questions are: Is there
an easier way to remove pan to change bearings and is that needed? what specific test should I perform? Could I drive the truck with the gauge doing that and how long? What is simplest way to remove pan from this truck to replace bearings if needed? Appreciate
it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Unfortunately If the engine was ran with out oil and revved then its not likely replacing the bearings is going to fix the problem, its more likely there was damage done to the crankshaft journals as well and if that is the case you are likely looking at major engine damage and in most cases that dose require replacing the engine. Before you consider trying to drive the truck you need to remove the oil pressure sending unit and install a oil pressure gauge and monito the actual oil pressure, if you find its still dipping then that means the crankshaft journals as well as the bearing are shot and you do not want to drive the truck anymore until the engine is either rebuilt and or replaced as its will very likely cause the engine to seize .
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Please consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 5AM eastern time and work all day . A rating is required. Your rating me , and what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor do I have control over the fees or the time it takes to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all ,you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short

Thank you, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did drive the truck to the store.It had power and did not hear any pinging or noise.Just the oil gauge kept dipping every time I let go of the acceleration.Also,the question of how to take down the oil pan,he said he had a hard time dropping it as there was a bar in the way and still was not able to...is there in easier way without lifting the engine on these models...oh and it is 8cylinder.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately the oil pan can not be removed with out raising the engine to get the clearance you need. Before you go to that level, install an oil pressure gauge and see if its still dropping. If the engine is not making any noise you may be able to save it but the engine will need to be lifted in order to get the pan off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I look for shavings in pan? and change what bearings?Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes you are likely going to find some shaving in the pan and if you have to change the bearing you are going to want to change rod bearing as well as the main bearing and that providing the crankshaft is not damaged with scoring.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last question, how much could I get an engine like that at the junk yard about ...my brother exaggerates and says it will be a $100. Also , he said that putting new engine is easier than changing the bearings.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

He is correct about repairing the engine verse replacing it but your not going to find a good running engine for $100, a fair estimate for a good used engine would be about $800 ball park depending on market pricing in your area.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.