Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

1999 Ram 2500. Would crank but not start, disconnect and

Customer Question

1999 Ram 2500. Would crank but not start, disconnect and reconnect batteries then it would start. Today it started and then just died. any ideas
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.

One common component to cause this issue here is the crank position sensor itself.This sensor is seated in the engine block at the passenger rear at the top where the transmission bell housing bolts up.

This sensor reads the engine rpm signal and sends this signal to the computer for proper operation of the ignition components and fuel injectors in some cases.What happens is it intermittently can act up and send either an incorrect or no rpm signal and cause this here.It can also cause a no start all together.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery most likely reset the power signal to the computers and sensors and may have reset the fault with it.

The way this is normally checked to see if for sure this is the cause here is using a scan tool to check the engine rpm signal when the engine is cranked over.If there is no rpm signal present when it will not start then this sensor needs replaced.

What I recommend to do here is to have the fault codes checked using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers to see hat codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set will need diagnosed and repaired and will help locate the fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else here and feel free to rate my help.Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete,
I changed that sensor the other day (which was awful) so it had a brand new one. I had to remove the starter to get to it so I disconnected the batteries. It started right up. The next day, it just cranked and cranked. So I had an idea to disconnect and recconect the batteries again. Then it fired right up. When it doesnt start that is what I have been doing. It has been working, until today. Any other Ideas? I cant move the truck or I would take it to get it scanned. Thanks.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Can you re check the electrical connection to this sensor as well as the wiring leading to the sensor for any damage or issues.Inspect any other sensors or components on the same harness and see if you locate any issues.Let me know what you come up with here.

Thanks Pete