sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I just installed a new front brake cable on a 2012 grand

Customer Question

I just installed a new front brake cable on a 2012 grand cravan. When trying to hook up the front cable to the equalizer there is about a one inch gap between the two. Is there a trick to close this gap and hook the cable to the equalizer?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

1. Release the parking brake.
  2. Raise the vehicle to a comfortable working position and support. See: Maintenance

1. Wipe the parking brake cable strands (front and both rear) clean where visible at the intermediate bracket.

CAUTION:Do not use any type of sharp instrument to hold the cable strand in place. Damage to the cable strand or coating can occur.

1. Pull rearward on the equalizer (2) until the front cable stops, then grasp the front cable (5) strand and hold it in this position. Disconnect the equalizer from the front cable strand.
  2. Release the front cable strand allowing the lever automatic self-adjusting mechanism to pull the front cable strand forward. This action allows the adjuster mechanism to rotate around to its stop, removing tension from the adjuster and front parking brake cable.

….

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

.

Thanks

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You gave me steps for removing the cable from the equalizer. I already removed the equalizer and the old cable I'm installing the new cable. The old cable broke where it hooks up to the pedal. When installing the new cable I hooked it up to thw pedal and routed it like the old one. Is there a way to release the tension from the pedal and get a few more inched of throw out if the cable?
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see, thanks. Yes, the park brake automatic adjuster release and reset should do it.

.

I have the instructions in a PDF format, at the following link. You can copy and paste it into a new browser and rate the answer on this page.

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9dqvf1ah9ppp0f/PARKING%20BRAKE%20AUTOMATIC%20ADJUSTER%20TENSION%20RESET.pdf?dl=0

.

.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok what you sent me is what I have been doing and there is still a one inch space between the cable and equalizer when I pull the front cables aft and the rear cables forward. Is their a way to manually reset the automatic adjuster release?
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

That is all the information that I have on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

.

Surely don't rate negative if nobody take it on either, thanks.

*******YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A REFUND WITHOUT RATING THE ANSWER AS BAD OR THE SERVICE AS POOR ********

.

.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The automatic adjuster is reset by pulling the front cable off at the equalizer and then letting it retract, which really should have happened on it's own when the original cable broke.

Have you ensured that the emergency brake pedal hasn't been slightly pushed down? If it's pushed down even one click then the adjuster isn't going to reset.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pedal isn't pushed down. I have reset the thing a couple time and there is still a gap. Im pretty sure the adjuster slipped a few teeth. I have to back that adjustwe up a few teeth and that should fix it. I you know of any easy way to back this up great, if not no big deal and thank you trying.

If the adjuster won't retract on it's own when the cable is removed from the equalizer then it's going to require replacing the adjuster/pedal assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it's taken so long to reply I was busy with work and didn't have time to fix the brake until today. Thank you for you attempt at helping me I will be asking for a refund since you didn't have anything I didn't already know. If the adjuster/pedal assembly won't retract on its own you don't have to replace it. It can be manually retracted. I did however explain what I did to fix the issue in the paragraph below so if are asked this question agian you can help them.You can manually retract the the adjuster and hold it in the retracted position with a solid object I used an allen wrench. This is almost impossible to do on the vehicle so I recommend removing it. I used two flat head screwdrivers: one to retract the adjuster and one to hold. I placed them on the gear teeth to pry in the retracted direction. Once retracted I used an allen wrench to hold the adjuster. I placed the allen wrench in a hole on the inboard side of the assembly frame and across to the larger hole in the outboard side. The cable attachment point rested againt the allen wrench. Once it's retracted, reinstall in the vehicle, hook up the cable to the adjuster, thhen at the equalizer and then remove your allen wrench. Reinstall all the wiring and plastics and you have fixed the issue. The parking brake is ready to take for a test drive.