Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

What could be causing my intake air heater to cycle on and

Customer Question

What could be causing my intake air heater to cycle on and off during normal engine operation at normal operating temperature.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Are you getting any ill running issues from this or trouble codes stored?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the engine runs fine and was checked out by a tech who found no problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The chime comes on and the indicator light lights up, sometimes for a few minutes but sometimes stays on while at highway speed. The engine operates normally

Is the indicator your seeing for the wait to start or the glow plugs?

When this occurs does it look like the instrument cluster has reset like you restarted the vehicle after a stall event?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the light is the grid heater indicator, and no, there are no other lights or events with the cluster. The chime chimes 9 times and the light comes on. It occurred three times today and the light remained on for 2 to 5 minutes, again at normal running temperature at highway speed.

The coiled wire next to the brake and low fuel light is the wait to start light, not the intake air heater. its your glow plug light coming on. Scan it and see if codes are stored like P1223. Once know ing the codes I can be more certain on the issue. The symptoms are pointing to a fuel return being excessive or an ECM reflash needed.

-----------PLEASE READ THIS------------

1. First of all, thanks for using Just Answer, and Thanks for letting me try to help you.

2. Sorry about the wait, we try our best to get to everyone fast.

3. Do not mistake the above or following posts from me as my last one. We can ask each other many questions, and I can post many answers.

4. I base my response on what you tell me, I am not there to see, smell, or hear, so please factor that in.

5. On your screen you see a rating. That is how I'm paid from your deposit for helping you. I am going to keep checking in on you to make sure your pleased with my help. Let me know if your planning to rate at a later date if not now.

6. If you decide to rate BAD it doesn't result in a refund, please respond first so I can help more.

7. I'm here normally 3pm-3am central everyday. Thanks again, Chris (aka-Moose)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It isn't setting any codes. The engine is a brand new long block from Cummins and the tech who installed it agrees there are no stored codes. I read the bulletin about the fuel return problem which stated that it started with 10 chimes with DTC P1222 or P1223, my problem starts with 9 chimes and is not setting a code. BAFFLED!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no noticeable power loss or drivability problems when this occurs. There is an Edge performance chip installed in the truck that I'm running stock mode. It was in the truck when I bought it.

Any air bag light issues?

Did you try the ECM reflash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No airbag light issues, I'm not aware of an ECM ref lash I will contact the service that installed the engine to see if they did. Is that something I can do?

A dealer is the only one with the correct tool and subscription to Dodge that can update the ECM to the most recent level