Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics
18617752

Past few weeks battery light comes on with initial start.

Customer Question

Past few weeks battery light comes on with initial start. Stays off after restart. Driving home car acceleration seemed strange. Tachometer read extremely high. Radio quit. Brake and abs light came on. Dash LEDs seemed dim kinda flickered. Made it home shut off would not restart. Just clicked
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...
From what you are describing here, it sounds like there is a problem in the Charging System. Very likely the Alternator is failing and may be on it's way out. The clicking noise you heard upon restarting is the sign of the battery having less than 12v. The flickering of the lights is the sign the charging system is erratic and not steady. All the other symptoms you describe are by-products of the on-board computer trying to compensate for a low voltage system to keep main systems online. There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running, take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Make sure to also check the battery cables to make sure they are tight, making a good connection and are free of any corrosion at this time. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see the rating stars, please let me know!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..